Sailor had to be rescued after yacht became stranded
Tue - April 17, 2018 7:48 am     A+ | a-

A hapless sailor had to be rescued twice when his yacht became stranded.

Coast Guard and RNLI crews were called out to help the lone boatman after he ran aground on Lough Derg.

But the Coast Guard was alerted again five hours later after he tried to move his safely-towed vessel on Saturday night.

The unnamed seaman was first helped when volunteers from the Killaloe unit towed the 30ft yacht into the safety of Mountshannon Harbour after it ran aground a short distance away in Scarriff Bay.

It happened at around 6pm on Saturday when search and rescue services were alerted to the vessel aground on the Clare shore of the lake.

The Killaloe unit of the Irish Coast Guard and the Dromineer [Tipperary] based RNLI lifeboat quickly located the boat.

A crew member from Killaloe Coast Guard boarded it to check the occupant was safe and to ensure the yacht had not been damaged.

The crew of the Lough Derg RNLI Lifeboat remained on scene until a full assessment was complete.

Once it was confirmed the boat was undamaged the RNLI crew was stood down and returned to their station at Dromineer.

In the meantime, the yacht was towed by the Killaloe unit to Mountshannon Harbour.

Once it was safely tied up the crew was also stood down.

A short time later the sail boat was seen leaving Mountshannon and it quickly got into difficulty for a second time.

It’s understood the sailor was trying to make his way out to deeper water to tie up at one of several anchor points in the bay.

Within minutes however, the yacht found itself stranded in shallow water again. The Coast Guard was alerted several hours later after a member of the public noticed the yacht and became concerned.

Killaloe Coast Guard was alerted at around 11.15pm and went to the scene to find it was the same vessel they had assisted earlier.The crew again removed the stranded yacht from rocks and again towed it back to Mountshannon Harbour.

A Coast Guard spokesman said: “The Killaloe unit and the RNLI lifeboat from Dromineer were originally tasked at 6.15pm. The vessel was taken on tow by Killaloe Coast Guard and brought back to Mountshannon Harbour. At 8.45pm Killaloe Coast Guard returned to station.